Special Oilwell Operator
This is a non-standardized certificate of competency issued by Alberta. It certifies the operator to operate transportable power plants, with capacity up to 1000 kW, at drilling sites.
This in not a site specific certificate.
The certificate is subject to the annual renewal fee.
Upcoming Dates: 2021-2022
Application Forms must be submitted 21 days prior to the exam date.
Safety Buzz Campus Medicine Hat District
Feb 22, Mar 3, Mar 29
Contact us to book Boiler training at your site.
Duration: 8-10 hours
Requirements for this certificate are:
- Previous Certificate: none
- Educational Prerequisites: none
- Acceptance by ABSA
- Photo ID
- Prepayment of Course
- obtained 6 months experience in an installation that involves a boiler or boilers operating as part of a transportable power plant at a drilling or hydrocarbon production site, or
- successfully completed a vocational course in boiler operation satisfactory to the Administrator.
- A Special Oilwell Operators Certificate of Competency examination must consist of questions relating to the subjects contained in the current reference syllabus established by the Administrator for the Special Oilwell Operators Certificate of Competency examination.
- The exam consists of one (1) examination paper with 100 multiple-choice questions, 3 hours duration.
- To pass a Special Oilwell Operators Certificate of Competency examination, a candidate must obtain at least 65% of the total marks allotted for the examination.
- To apply for examination please click here.
Detailed information in regard to this examination can be found in the Special Oilwell Reference Syllabus (AB-56).